Opening process of Institute of Journalism
Having taken this offer into consideration, the founding president of Turkish Journalists Association, Sedat Simavi, wrote a relevant petition and submitted it to the Rector of Istanbul University, Ord. Prof. Dr. Sıddık Sami Onar.
The foundation and targets of the Institute
After discussing about this issue, University Senate received opinion from the Faculty of Law, Faculty of Economics and Faculty of Letters. Following the examination of the reports of special commissions set up by those faculties, “Institute of Journalism” was launched under the body of the Faculty of Economics in 1950. The regulation of Institute of Journalism was adopted by the Ministry of Education on 20th June, 1950. For the first time in Turkey did journalism education start on 29th November, 1950.
As public relations as well as journalism gained more importance in democratic regimes, courses about public relations and advertising were added to the schedule of the Institute in 1973 and the name of the Institute was changed into “Institute of Journalism and Public Relations.” From then on, the students who finished three-year-long education were given “Diploma of Institute of Journalism and Public Relations” by the Faculty of Economics. Regulation change in question was adopted by Istanbul University Senate on 12th June, 1975.
In the Institute, whose name was Istanbul University Faculty of Economics Institute of Journalism and Public Relations between 1975-1980, many important figures such as Abdi İpekçi and Prof. Dr. Cavit Orhan Tütengil were among the instructors. During the same period, internship regulation was prepared for students not only to learn theorotical information but also to gain experience in the sector. Students served their internships in Milliyet Journal with the help of Adi İpekçi. In correlation with the new regulation change made in 1975, students could also get a “Master’s Degree Diploma.”
Transformation into a School
Our faculty performed its functions on an instutional level from 1950 to 1980. From 1980 on, it gained “School” status and was called as Istanbul University Faculty of Economics School of Journalism and Public Relations between 1980-1982. At the year of 1982, it was given the name “School of Press and Publication” and operated under Istanbul University Rectorate. Period of study has been four years since then.
Once an Institute, Now a Faculty
Istanbul University School of Press and Publication was named “Istanbul University Faculty of Communication” on 11th July, 1992.
Istanbul University Faculty of Communication today gives Bachelor’s Degree, Master’s degree and PhD education in three departments which are Journalism, Public Relations and Advertising and Radio/ Television/ Film. Faculty of Communication carries out the researches, works and education in these departments thanks to permanent and contracted academicians, successful figures from the press, PR experts, experienced members of radio-Tv press and distinguished film- makers, thus making the desired collaboration between the university and the relevant field, namely bringing the theory and practice together.